Posting Guidelines - Important to keep our quality up

This is a topic that bugs me for quite a long time, being part of the admin team and having to approve queued posts. Also, the recent legal issues and litigation made this topic really important so that’s why I want to address it here and now.

1. It is crucial to post evidence of scam

How did you find the number?
Why do you think the number you want to post should be posted here?
What’s the justification?
Is it a scam? If yes, why so? If no or you are unsure, indicate that and ask for other members to investigate this number in the post.
Provide substantial information and evidence when you create the post!

The reason being is that it’s hard for us moderators to see if that’s just some stupid kid trying to get prank calls on his school or if it’s really a scammer number. And then also because of legal reasons: If we’re getting hit by lawyers and lawsuits regarding posts on the website we need to be able to prove that the number / website posted is or was indeed involved in scam. If we have evidence posted, then we can simply reply back to the lawyer / company that we will not remove the post, end of the story. But posts without evidence make it very hard for us and require detailed investigations which sucks for everyone involved.

If you don’t have evidence, at least post indicators of scam or why you think this number is a scam.

Examples of what counts as evidence:

• a tech support scam popup link/screenshot
  • a website impersonating brand xyz
  • a user stating that their number is on the national DNC registry and still they received a robocall from this number
  • a link to the number on RoboKiller or Nomorobo that states this number is a known robocaller

2. It is crucial to preserve evidence

Even if you post evidence, it may be that the scammers notice your post here and then remove it, e.g. take down the popup or their website. To counteract this, preserve the evidence so that even if they take it down, we can show evidence.
You can do this by choosing at least one of the following options:

• Save a screenshot of the popup/evidence that you think warrants the scam. You can post screenshots by uploading them e.g. to imgur.com and then posting the direct link to the .jpg or .png into the field that comes up when you select “Add an image” or post it like this. Example: [img]https://i.imgur.com/zJxkeMU.png[/img]

• Archive websites. By saving them, you create a 1:1 copy in the archive which can be accessed at any time, even if the original website has been removed. Important archives are Wayback Machine and Archive.is

There are also sites like https://urlscan.io/ that are somewhat in the middle. They take a screenshot automatically (just the first screen though, not full page) and collect other information. You can use that as well, depending on the context. Just make sure that you save what you want to save.

3. Use titles that make sense

Remember that the titles are what also show in the Google result when people search for the phone number so choose something that makes sense like “scam type - phone number”. Use titles that make sense so that users directly know what kind of scammer it is by reading the title only.

Bad example:
2022-02-11 21_32_29-Window
Reason: The person did not even fill the basic field that are in the post by default. There is no context to the number, no website or anything that would indicate if this is a scam or not or which company / call center it is. It could be a legitimate company as well… The title is good though.

Good example:
2022-02-11 23_19_45-Window
Reason: The company name is in the title as well as the type of scam is in the title. The post contains all details and different phone numbers, websites and is well organized and formatted. With that post, even in the future I have evidence of this company breaking the Telephone Consumer Protection Act which justifies their number being posted on here.

Failing to comply with the rules can result in your post being rejected and receiving a warning, your account getting temporarily banned or in severe cases when a user posts a legitimate number intentionally, perma banned.

29 Likes

Thank you! Weird low-quality posts are extremely annoying, and sometimes really suspicious honestly. Example: Someone posted a link to a random Discord server and said “this is a scammer’s Discord server, everyone raid it” :neutral_face:

11 Likes

This is very helpful and it taught me something important: If I ever come across a scam, I will from now on post evidence and explain how the scam works. Thank you @NeeP :+1:.

7 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen this being a problem as well. Is it better to include a screenshot or a urlscan for a tech support scam? I usually do a urlscan but I do a screenshot if the popup checks ip although a screenshot would be way easier. I try to provide enough details but I also don’t want to spend too much time writing up the post because in that time I won’t be checking for more popups.

2 Likes

NeeP is right. I have called numbers in two industries in in 2020 and 2021 (which I probably would not have called) if things had been better vetted. A number could be wrong, even if it appears in both scammer.net and bobrtc.tel at the same time. It could be wrong even if long-time scambaiters say it is a scam. For the time being, I am focusing only on people who call me, until I draw up a set of personal guidelines.

4 Likes

URLscan seems to be very good as well. It does a screenshot, too, if I’m seeing it correctly. I’ll add that to the initial post :+1:

4 Likes

A post long overdue

2 Likes

One question: How can i prove that a 419 email is a scam? There isn’t really much to prove there, and the only info about the scam i can get before scambaiting is info provided in the email.

If you post the email or a screenshot of it, that would be enough. Some things are obvious that they’re scam, especially 419 emails which are often written in the same style/formatting/similar story. Plus, 419 scammers usually are not the ones who complain and email us or send lawyers after us. This forum post of me is more targeted towards the more borderline scams or tech support scams when they take down a popup or website.

3 Likes

If someone’s searching for it, it’s not obvious to them yet.

3 Likes

Great points and duly noted!
Suppose we have overlapping scams, such as days when we get a dozen Amazon call-centers. Do you think it’s better to post them all separately, with its own headed or just add to the leading post? Assuming that each follow-up poster includes the above info within the original thread. I’ve seen it both ways or a mix of each

4 Likes

That’s a good question. Usually I’m for separating stuff when it’s a different call center but if it’s the same scam and possibly the same call center you can keep it one single thread. I just think that scams shouldn’t be mixed, like e.g don’t post a student loan robocall together with a tech support scam.

8 Likes

Hi, NeeP - I’ve added more crucial details to my posting. I will do so going forward, like I did with the new posting regarding the same scammers. Basically, they are the same group of people who have numerous numbers used.

2 Likes

sounds good :+1:

2 Likes

Neep: strike 1 … Well did you confirm it? We are getting two conflicting stories on that 713# …
I called the 1800# 3 times Neep to confirm if it legitimate. Other people called it as well to confirm. We got conflicting answers
so I dont think I deserve at “strike” on that or on this forum against me.
-Draco

1 Like

you were hitting hard a number that was listed on Chase website as legitimate number. It’s happening often that the scammers are spoofing real numbers of banks and also it happens that call center employees don’t know exactly which numbers are theirs but it’s listed as the official number so it’s safe to assume it’s a real one

2 Likes

Neep take that strike off. The number on the web site they are UNAWARE of it. Did you read the thread?? If it is spoofed on thier why you striking me??
Ya take the strike off Neep.

1 Like

I agree that scammers spoof their number. That’s their way of getting away with fraud. But spoofing can be reversed. I’m not sure how it’s done, but I believe that reversing the spoofing is possible. Scammers can be strategic, but they eventually fail.

4 Likes