Pre-made Windows 10 Scambaiting Virtual Machine (2024 version)

If you don’t want to go through all the hassle of disguising a virtual machine and getting it ready, then look no further. In this post, I present my pre-made scambaiting virtual machine and its required software.
I re-created the previous 2022 scambaiting virtual machine from scratch since it has been widely used by many scambaiters (1200+ downloads) as well as a couple of YouTube scambaiters. This is a fully ready vm with everything fully disguised and hidden based on Windows 10 Pro. This virtual machine works with VMware Workstation Pro which you can now get for free after the owner Broadcom decided to release it for free for personal use. You just need to follow the steps below and start scambaiting right away. The default user is Robert, the password is 0808. You can change/modify the virtual machine to your liking but don’t forget to make a snapshot of the vm to be able to restore it after every bait!
Feel free to leave feedback and feature requests here so I can improve on it and release even better versions in the future.

Features:

:white_check_mark: All devices renamed in Device Manager
:white_check_mark: Increased capacity of the hard drive to 500GB to make it more plausible
:white_check_mark: VMware Tools hidden and associated processes and services renamed/disguised
:white_check_mark: Custom BIOS to remove any mentions of VMware in msinfo32 and dxdiag
:white_check_mark: Windows Updates disabled to prevent it from loading updates when you actually want to bait
:white_check_mark: Windows Defender fully disabled, even after restart, to prevent it from messing with your “stuff”
:white_check_mark: Windows 10 Telemetry disabled
:white_check_mark: Fake printer added to bait printer support scammers and to simulate printer problems
:white_check_mark: Camera app will show looped video of old man looking into the webcam in case scammer try to check
:white_check_mark: Many programs installed by default
:white_check_mark: Extensive, believable Chrome browser history
:white_check_mark: Huge collection of personal files, most of them openable, some include subtle easter eggs
:white_check_mark: Wallpapers included in Images folder, just right-click “Set as Wallpaper” to apply
:white_check_mark: Included Moo.FuckScreenConnect which allows you to see the screen even if scammers use the black screen feature in ScreenWise ScreenConnect and other remote access software
:white_check_mark: Included Moo.NoBlockInput to allow you to still use mouse and keyboard even if scammers blocked that
:white_check_mark: Included a local fake popup available under the “Micerosoft” link at the desktop

Requirements:

• At least 37 GB of space on your hard drive as the unzipped vm is that big. It will likely increase depending on how many snapshots you create. I suggest to plan with 50 GB of space in total.
  • At least 8 GB of RAM installed on your host machine as the VM already takes 4 GB. For a fluid experience, I suggest 16 GB or more.
  • A somewhat modern CPU with at least 4 physical cores, something like an AMD Ryzen 2600 and upwards or an Intel i5 10th Gen.
  • If you don’t know if you can run the VM, just comment here with your specs or PC model name and I’ll check for you. Otherwise, just try it out directly.

How to install

1. Download and install VMware Workstation Pro 17.0 or higher
    1.1 Create a Broadcom account at https://profile.broadcom.com/web/registration
    1.2 Login into your account and go to Please select your identity provider. - Support Portal and click on the “VMware Workstation Pro 17.0 for Personal Use (Windows)” Option. Select the newest release
    1.3 Tick that box in the upper right corner and click on that cloud download button. It may prompt you to do some “screening”, just fill it out with some random data and proceed. Then you should come back to the same page and the download button should be available.
    1.4 Download and install VMware Workstation Pro 17,
    1.5 Once installed, start the software. There should be a screen asking you to choose from two options, personal use or commercial use with a field to input a license key. Here, select the personal use option. If that screen doesn’t come, reboot your PC and start VMware again.

2. Download and install 7-Zip at https://7-zip.org/

3. Download the modified VM BIOS at 512 KB file on MEGA and place it into the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64. Replace the existing file. This is not required to run the virtual machine but it’s stealthier and disguised, showing realistic PC information to the scammer. Highly advised to use.

4. Download the virtual machine at

Version 1.2 (2024-07-14)

Mirror #1: 23.05 GB file on MEGA
Mirror #2: Win10 Scambaiting (2024) by NeeP v1.2 2024-07-14.7z
Mirror #3: https://cdn6.filehaus.su/files/1724620904_19635/Win10_Scambaiting__2024__by_NeeP_v1.2_2024-07-14.7z
Changelog: installed the latest Windows Updates and Chrome updates, disabled automatic Windows Updates (hopefully this time for good) so that they won’t annoy you and drain your CPU power and internet bandwidth when you want to start scambaiting.

Version 1.1 (2024-07-01)

Mirror #1: 19.26 GB file on MEGA
Mirror #2:
Changelog: fixed the missing link to the pre-deployed fake popup on the desktop, link named “Micerosoft” and added another second popup as “Gaagle”.

Version 1.0 (2024-06-14) Initial Release

Mirror #1: 17.35 GB file on MEGA
Mirror #2: Gofile - Your all-in-one storage solution

1. Extract the virtual machine from the downloaded archive by right-clicking it, selecting 7-zip in the context menu and then extract the folder where you want your virtual machine to be.

2. Open VMware Workstation Pro and click on ‘Open’, navigate to the folder where you extracted the vm, and select the .vmx file. It should get imported and then you can power it up and you’re ready to go!

3. Optional: customize your virtual machine, change the wallpaper, install more software up to your taste, install a fake bank, either DSJAS (How to set up your very own fake bank website, right on your own machine) or Sinister Spatula’s Responder Online (Responder Online Plug-in Install (for scambaiting) update v3.0.0. #fakebank). I couldn’t include those in the virtual machine because DSJAS requires setup on your host PC that I obviously cannot configure and Sinister Spatula’s Responder Online is paid and I can’t use the same license for everyone. Don’t forget to take a snapshot of the virtual machine once you are ready.

Credits and Resources used:

7 Likes

Troubleshooting

Problem:

The features supported by the processors in this machine are different from the features supported by the processors in the machine on which the virtual machine state was saved.
An error occurred while restoring the CPU state from file “C:\Users\person\Documents\Win10 Scambaiting by NeePWin10 Scambaiting by NeeP-Snapshot4.vmsn”
An error caused the restore operation to fail. Cancel the restore operation and correct the error, or discard the snapshot’s state and power off. The saved snapshot will not be affected.

Solution: If you receive this message, you most likely have an Intel CPU and since I’m using an AMD CPU, the saved snapshot won’t resume as the CPU doesn’t get virtualized properly. This is no big deal. Just discard the snapshot’s state and reboot. Don’t forget to take a snapshot of the VM once you are ready.

Problem:

This virtual machine may have been moved or copied.
YtAwe

Solution: If you receive this message, same as it says in the popup already, select “I Copied It”.

Problem: VMware Workstation Pro asks you for a license key after installation.
Solution: Just finish installation, do not click on anything related to license. Start VMware Workstation Pro. Now it should ask you about Personal Use or License Key, obviously select Personal Use. If it doesn’t work, restart the PC, best IT advice anyway!

Additional Tools, Pranking Stuff

If you want to spice up your bait with some pranking tools, like a fake CMD with an endlessly running tree command or other things, check here:

Donations / Licensing

This project especially but also the previous Windows 10 and Windows 11 scambaiting virtual machines took me a lot of time and effort to disguise, figuring out things. I’m releasing this vm for free in hopes that it will help to get more people into scambaiting but I would really appreciate any donations to keep this running. If you want to donate, check out the options at Donations – NeeP Scambaiting or Team SDS and leave a mention of my scambaiting vm. Your help will be appreciated!

As of 14th July 2024, I’m changing the licensing of this virtual machine, it will remain free for personal use and normal scambaiting as my main goal is to provide free tools and to make scambaiting easier for everyone, however, using my tools for monetary gains, such as (monetized) YouTubers, I’d require a one-time license fee of $75 going forward. I think this is a fair price and helps me maintain support and bug fixes for this project while I don’t monetize it directly with all users. I hope you can understand. Contact me at [email protected] for that license / further discussions. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot man, good work

2 Likes

This is the best bait VM I’ve seen in a while, fantastic job NeeP!

3 Likes

anyway to get this with a mac m1 host?

1 Like

@N1C0 You’d need VMware Fusion, it also supports Apple Silicon / M1 nowadays: VMware Desktop Hypervisors for Windows, Linux, and Mac
I’m just not sure if it’s also free for personal use but you can try. You need a Broadcom account (check step 1 in my first post for the detailed instructions)

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Neep, it keeps asking for a license key no matter how many times I reboot the computer, I’m talking about your new VM, any suggestions?

1 Like

what is the password to log in windows

1 Like

@whoareu

@jj91 Can you share a screenshot? I didn’t activate this Windows with a license but it shouldn’t be a problem. I rebooted the vm probably 30-50x when installing and testing everything. It never asked for a license key for me. The only thing is, there could be an overlay in the bottom right corner saying it’s not registered.

1 Like

I got an activation key for it
everything works fine now
I just couldn’t find the password but got it now 0808

1 Like

@NeeP , I’m sorry, I meant the VM Ware license, when I booted it up the first time, it said try free for 30 days, I didn’t see anything else to input other than the VM license key…

1 Like

@jj91 Did you follow the exact same steps as laid out in Pre-made Windows 10 Scambaiting Virtual Machine (2022) - #42 by NeeP?

It should ask you on first start of VMware Workstation if you use it for Personal Use or Commercial Use:
grafik

2 Likes

I thought I did Neep, I guess I didn’t, should I uninstall and try again?

2 Likes

Yeah, try that, maybe that works.

3 Likes

Uploaded a fixed version today 07/01/2024

Download the new version in the first post. This is what changed:

• Somehow the fake popup that I included was removed, probably by Windows Defender. I’ve fixed it and put it back:
    Popup1
    I included another one which is named as Gaagle on the Desktop:
    Popup2

• I forgot to provide the modified BIOS for download. It has to be placed into the VMware folder on the host PC. The exact location is C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64. You will find the download link above in step 3.

5 Likes

Just wondering if using a VPN on the host machine is a good idea or am I fine without one?

1 Like