Further Issues with Onvoy/Inteliquent

I just sent Inteliquent a demand letter today. We’ll see how their lawyers play ball but I have recorded 364 spoofed calls impersonating Medicare using their service. They are in violation of TCPA and technically liable for 1500 per phone call if it’s proven.

4 Likes

Their line of legal defense is usually the same: “We are merely a wholesale provider and are not aware of the nature and content of calls mare by end users. We do not even know who end users are and are not liable. We have escalated the issue to our resellers who sell/lease numbers to end users”. Their “resellers” are often small VOIP operators located in India, Pakistan or the Philippines. Needless to say, a victim of harassing illegal robocalls would then never hear back from said “resellers”. Nor would Sinch dislose the names of their resellers, citing privacy laws. And private attorneys won’t take the case unless a plaintiff has the full legal name of violators and the latter are located in the US.

It seems like a neverending Catch 22 scenario.

Other known and egregious violators that seem to turn a blind eye to scams in my experience are Telnyx, IP Horizon/Call 48 and the one and only - Peerless Network/Infobip. Same BS behavior as Inteliquent/Onvoy.

4 Likes

Still I decided to send them a demand letter anyways. I’ve sent them multiple CEASE AND DESIST notices in the past and they refused to take the scam phone line down. I will pursue it and see where it goes. Will be representing myself for most of it. If enough people try and sue them they’ll be forced to change the way they’re doing business. I’m not out for a payday as much to waste their time and cost them money in legal fees. Whatever I end up paying is minuscule compared to their costs. And if I get lucky with my case I walk away with a good chunk of change. I just need to prove my case to a judge. Worse case scenario I lose and I’m out a grand or two. Someone needs to stand up to them if the FTC won’t then why not a little guy. I’ll publicize the issue and maybe even chat with some reporters about it.

5 Likes

Very good. I’d be curious to see what they say. They previously threatened me with lawsuits for merely repeatedly contacting their leadership team about the ongoing issue with illegal robocalls from their clients. Apparently, it is somehow “harassment” in their book. I believe they were a participant in complaints against a person known as ScammerBlaster last year and in 2022. He seemed like a good guy who ended up being made a scapegoat by the Feds for their failures to address robocalls and scammers. And Inteliquent claimed he was “harassing” them. You can research the history of ScammerBlaster online, it is pretty sad and unfair, in my opinion.

Seems like Sinch degenerates love to play the victim and love to claim “harassment”, while it is actually their foreign “clientele” harassing regular American people daily. Surreal. Just a nasty, sleazy and disgusting piece of shit enterprise that seems to be profiting from foreign scammers and spammers. Same goes for Peerless Network - a filthy abomination driven by greed, laziness and recklessness.

4 Likes

When I called their legal department to ask for their address since they responded to my notices online stating they don’t recognize digital notices. So I called to ask where to send physical notices to. The lady which I could only assume was their lawyer was unhinged and stated that only my lawyer can ask for that information. I laughed and told them I’m going to sue their company into oblivion. I was able to easily look up their addresses as well as their president and director. They’ll all be receiving letters personally. They’re welcome to try and claim harassment. I only called one time followed by demand notices it would be hard to prove in court that the person suing you is harassing you by sending you legal notices in the mail. (Which you asked for in an email). I’ll update you when I get a response. Gave them 2 weeks before I start filing paperwork.

3 Likes

You likely spoke with Penny Stanley, who is their Senior Paralegal. Their main attorney is Richard Monto who doesn’t say much generally. Penny is a nasty argumentative hag who seems to have this “blame the victim” mentality and has a smart mouth, so to say.

As I recall, most of their legal functions now operate via Sinch USA that owns them. The address of Sinch in the US is 3500 Lenox Rd NE Ste 1875, Atlanta, GA 30326.

3 Likes

Since the lady you spoke with was resistant to even provide required legal information to you (which is likely illegal, by the way), you can report her to their Corp. Compliance Team.

Report a Compliance Concern

Sinch is committed to conducting business in an ethical and proper manner and encourage anyone to report to us if they observe suspected or actual breaches of laws, regulations, ethical standards or the Code of Conduct in relation to our business. Send the report to [email protected]. All reports will be handled confidentially.

2 Likes

I wonder whether to call and ask for her and just troll her [in limbo] - asking her various questions non stop [too], such as “how much money have you personally pocketed from the scammers on the sinch network”? Obviously, for documentation/research purposes. :joy: :joy: :joy:

She is such a big bitch!

3 Likes

It actually sounds rather amusing! I wonder how fast she will accuse you of “harassment”. She seems like a spoiled little prissy crybaby who is always hurt in her little feelings. I say if one is always so sensitive and hurt in their feelings, they should probably NOT work for Onvoy, then. Can’t be so sensitive and prissy when your employer seems like a safe haven for foreign scammers of all sorts!

2 Likes

Hell yes, I have no way to record my calls though unfortunately which sucks! I’d encourage anyone to do the same.

Essentially what she and the rest of the Sinch team are COMPLICIT in, each and every day. Taste of [their] own medicine, no? :smiley:

2 Likes

Agreed 100%

2 Likes

Any questions you want me to ask? I’ll keep you updated of course. Go wild! :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Idk man, I feel like Tom Dorsher had what happened to him coming. There might have been, at that time, a small amount of good intentions. But he went about that operation the wrong way.
It went the wrong because he was cocky, he had already been abusing his ability to blast call to disgruntled customers and various other businesses and wasn’t caught for years.

3 Likes

Perhaps, ask them why many of the scams reported to them continue taking place. Why won’t their hold their reseller clients accountable?

1 Like

Yeah, I agree that he should have not been blasting any robocalls, as it is illegal. And he went quite wild with it. He did provide a considerable value to scambaiting community, though. I liked his website where he shared telcos’ compliance contacts. I also really liked him calling out VOIP scumbags like Onvoy and IP Horizon on their complicity with scam and spam calls.

3 Likes

Any updates from our lovely friends at Onvoy/Sinch?

2 Likes

I received two emails from Sinch/ Inteliquent. The first one was a four page notice explaining that they are a bridge for billions of calls and are excluded from a TCPA violation. They also asked me for the name of the lady that I described as “unhinged” and told me that the response she gave me should never have happened. I responded with if you want me to drop the suit against your company easy… just give me the name of the service provider responsible and ill sue them instead. The last email they claim to have traced the line that I reported but could not find a link between my number and that reported number. They asked for call logs. I happily provided a few days of call logs and told them my hope is that their assistance in this matter is genuine and not just an attempt at damage control. I reminded them that I had recordings for these phone calls all with the same scam of someone pretending to work with the Social Security Administration and then trying to steal my “benefits number and social security number”. My last response was I provided you with some call logs and while your investigation is appreciated it is not required. Give me the name of the provider and ill drop any pending legal action against your company and it will no longer be your problem. Like you said you are not liable, I need to be talking with the legal counsel of the party that is. Now I am waiting to hear back. This is just a short summary of the conversation as a whole but it seems like they may either be genuinely trying to find these scammers or conducting some kind of damage control for their customer. Let me know your thoughts. I wish I could post some of the emails the problem is it would be problematic if I end up taking Inteliquent on in court. I doubt they’ll stick their necks out for the provider. Worse case scenario I file a subpoena for that information, I think I have a strong likelihood of getting a judge to agree. While I have not been to law school as someone thats done some prelaw it will be nice to see how far I can get without an actual lawyer. Had a friend of mine that is a lawyer read my demand letter and told me its good stuff. If I can make some money and punish the actual provider thats protecting these scammers I say… why not. Lets see how far down the rabbit hole I can go.

3 Likes

While I am not an attorney, my advice would be to demand a resolution to your issue and point out inappropriate, if not borderline illegal behavior of the paralegal lady who you spoke with to their executive team. Their team’s emails should be as follows:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Be polite but demand a resolution and fair investigation.

Also, it might be beneficial to reach out to either of the attorneys listed here:

THE 2023 POWER RANKINGS ARE HERE!: TCPAWorld’s (Second Annual) Definitive List of the Top 10 Most Dangerous Plaintiff’s Firms Out There – TCPAWorld

Overall, I would recommend for anyone to report issues that are NOT being addressed by Inteliquent to [email protected]. I think their Swedish owners sometimes may not even be aware of BS games that their Chicago-based Inteliquent is playing. I may be wrong, though, and I do not place much trust into Sinch either…

3 Likes

I didn’t know the lady’s name it would not be right naming her without being sure. She’s not really important in any of this. I told them I think she was just a secretary and gave them the number I called. Regardless, her actions were inexcusable for someone supposedly representing a reputable company. Ill update you when something changes. Thanks for the information and the advice. All my emails were responded to as being from. Inteliquent/ Sinch Voice from their [email protected] address. Never got a specific person that I am speaking to. I’d be okay with them resolving this but I still want to know who the provider is. The demand letter I sent put my notice demanding 17k plus any legal fees. Which is reasonable considering current TCPA guidelines list 1500 per call and I currently have over 400 calls. Being able to prove their customer violated TCPA guidelines in court is what I really want to do. Worse case scenario, I come out with nothing and they learn a lesson in addition to all the negative publicity. Best case scenerio I walk away with some change for my trouble and they still learn a lesson.

3 Likes

I personally would make this into its own thread, lots of information here that would be good as its own topic.

4 Likes