Virtual Machine Software?

Hi all,

I am new to all of this and was wondering what is the best virtual machine software?

I have seen VMWare and VirtualBox but not sure which to get? Are there any differences? Which is better? I will be learning to scambait, rat-tools, testing malicious software/files and isolation.

Thanks

Welcome! (For me, I use VirtualBox at the minute, haven’t tried VMWare prior - VirtualBox is currently doing the job for me).

Greetings , my first post here :slight_smile: I use (or will be using) VirtualBox. I am just getting set up.

I have my first network adapter set as NAT (and in ProtonVPN I set Virtualbox to pass to VPN) with the windows network adapter metric set to 1 (lower number = higher priority so internet goes here)

I have a second network adapter so I can get access to my local network with metric set to 5. I will use static IP and block out access to ALL IP addresses except for my two DNS servers and one single IP address, which will be my webserver for fake bank websites, etc.

I also routed the DNS through my PiHole so I can just add a custom DNS entry pointing to a LAN IP (instead of writing in the hosts file)

Soon I will have an awesome scambaiting setup :slight_smile:

Hi chod and welcome to our forum!

I’d say they’re fairly similar. VirtualBox is completely free so that’s a great benefit and VMware has a free version (VMware Player) and a paid version (VMware Workstation). The free version is a bit cut in features in comparison to the paid version. Generally, VMware is the more professional product though, that is getting used by many companies so bug fixes etc. will happen there often. The biggest problem is IMO that the free version doesn’t support snapshots (correct me guys if I’m wrong), meaning you cannot save a clean state of the virtual machine and then reset it to that state once the scammer messed everything up and you want to start a new bait. If you find maybe a cheap key for VMware Workstation on ebay or so, that’s a good choice.

I’m using VMware personally and created some pre-made and disguised virtual machines for scambaiting so if you want to directly start scambaiting, check this out:

Just checked and VMware’s free version does support snapshots

I would also recommend VMware, it’s fairly simple to get VMs set up

1 Like

This may be super, super niche, and if nobody has this just chillin’ in their back pocket, it’s ok, but I figured I’d ask in this topic since we’re discussing VMs. :slight_smile: I use a Mac with the Apple M1 processor. I also happen to be blind and use Voiceover, Apple’s screen reader. The best VM solution I’ve found that is accessible with Voiceover is UTM. I don’t suppose anybody has made a scambaiting machine in UTM? That would be brilliant if so. I’m not sure UTM allows me to make snapshots of a VM, and I’m totally fine continuing to scambait without a VM as I have done, but if I can bait more scams more effectively with a VM, I would love to. I’m also not sure the baiting process with a VM would be accessible to a blind person anyway, but I would try it once just to see.

Turns out it’s also only available for Mac Users

I believe you can save snapshots Virtualbox is free.
[EDIT] I just saved a snapshot on VirtualBox