Virtual machine software on Linux

I’ve been wanting to get into messing with tech support scammers, but my laptop throws a fit any time I try to make an effort to get some sort of VM software installed. I’m hoping someone here is well-versed in Linux, and can walk me through the steps to do so. Thank you.

My host OS is Lubuntu 21.04 - Basically a very light weight version of Ubuntu because I am not a fan of animations / graphics; if you have a slow laptop I suggest using this distro.

I have a stealth Windows VM I can help you make it stealthy if you need help. I use Virtualbox; I setup no 3D acceleration and give it 2 GB of ram.

1 Like

That means that Virtualbox cannot access the Hypervisor. Access to the Hypervisor is accomplished via a Kernel module.

1 Like

Okay, so how do I fix this issue?

Do you have gcc installed and setup for kernel module buidling? Some kernel modules need to be compiled.

1 Like

Open terminal and type “modprobe vboxdrv”

Do you see anything?

Not sure if apt-get exist on your linux version but try

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms

This contains the built kernel modules and appropriate headers.

I have never heard of your Linux distro so I do not know how to resolve your problem.

I am willing to help if I am provided more info.

1 Like

For 'modprobe vboxdrv", I got back:

-bash: modprobe: command not found

For “sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms”, I got back:

E: Unable to locate package virtualbox-dkms

I think I installed gcc last night, but it didn’t change anything.

I am going to be honest with you; if you want to mess with scammers install another Linux Distro that is well known.

I do not know anything about your Destro and truthfully, it is probably going to be a pain to get it working as you will have to dynamically link each shared object kernel module at startup and that can prevent startup - a lot of debugging.

Additionally, gcc has to be configured to compile kernel modules and that is a lengthy process ; I also know nothing about your distro.

I would just install or dual boot into another OS ; Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSuse or good options.

1 Like

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox

I think this website can help. I have never heard of Gentoo.
Scroll to where it says “Kernel driver not installed”

1 Like

Let me know if it works or not.

LXQt, not bad at all

1 Like

Good Desktop Environment; I love it.

My computer is not slow but I just hate animations with a passion.

1 Like