Venmo advance payment scam

This was sent to my father after he opened a Venmo account to help me out with some car repairs. So, I’ll be completely candid, I’m taking this very personally.

Email sender: Venmo Pay [email protected]
Email title: ACCOUNT LIMIT
Body:

Venmo logo

ACCOUNT LIMIT

You have a pending payment of $150.00 USD.

We should be crediting your account now but we noticed your account has been limited and not a business account so it can’t be credited.

How do i upgrade my account?

1. Contact the sender to send in an amount of $300.00 USD to your Venmo account.
  2. Once we receive the transfer we’ll secure the transaction & automatically deposit the funds when the action required from your end has been completed.
  3. Your account limit will be upgraded to that of a business so that you can receive business payments or business transactions in the future with your Venmo account.
  4. You’ll receive an email for the confirmation regarding the deposit of the sum of $450.00 USD with instructions, once followed & completed the funds will show up on your Venmo account (shortly within minutes).
    Venmo84x16 1x2

*QR Kit offer terms:

Venmo Business Profile users can receive a QR Kit bundle* (a $14.99 value) at no cost using code QRKIT at checkout on the Venmo Webstore (“Offer”). Offer is available so long as it’s visible on the Venmo Webstore or while supplies last (“Offer Period”). The coupon code QRKIT must be applied at checkout during the Offer Period. Offer may not be combined with any other offer and is valid for one-time use only. This Offer is only available for Venmo users. Venmo reserves the right to cancel, suspend or modify this offer in part or in its entirety at any time without notice, for any reason in its sole discretion. Venmo reserves the right to review any account or transaction related to this offer, in its sole discretion, without notice, and delay or reverse completion of the Offer. Certain offers may not be transferable. Participation is subject to the Venmo User Agreement. Any questions relating to the Offer will be resolved in Venmo’s sole discretion and its decisions related to the Offer will be final and binding. Other restrictions may apply.

Feel free to reply to this message. We’ve sent it from a customer service/notification-only address that can’t accept replies. If you need any help with Venmo, contact us directly. To make sure our email updates are delivered to your inbox, make sure to add this email to your inbox book.

Venmo is a service of PayPal, Inc. (“PayPal”), a licensed provider of money transfer services. All money transmission is provided by PayPal pursuant to PayPal’s licenses. PayPal’s NMLS ID is # 910457.

GEORGIA: PayPal, Inc., is licensed by the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance, License # 34967.

MASSACHUSETTS: PayPal, Inc., holds Massachusetts Foreign Transmittal Agency License # FT3345.

NEW YORK: PayPal, Inc., is licensed as a Money Transmitter by the New York State Department of Financial Services.

PENNSYLVANIA: PayPal, Inc., is licensed to Transmit Money By Check, Draft or Money Order By The Department of Banking, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

RHODE ISLAND: PayPal, Inc., is a Rhode Island Licensed Seller of Checks and Money Transferor.

CONNECTICUT: PayPal, Inc. is Licensed by the State of Connecticut Department of Banking to perform Money Transmission, NMLS #910457, License Number MT-910457.

Venmo is located at 117 Barrow St., New York, NY 10014

Do with this information what you will. Also, mods, if this is categorized incorrectly feel free to recategorize it.

2 Likes

I put a fishing email out to the address…we’ll see if the scumbag bites the hook.