Tax Debt Scam

Scam Number (Call-Back Only): (614) 957-8863
Domain Used: No Domain Available
Extra Info: This was a Debt Forgiveness Scam. To prove this is a robocall-scam, I have provided a link to the voicemail I got for everyone to see. The robocall violates the TCPA because The phone number which called me does not match with the call-back number because I am afraid it might have been spoofed. The call-back number is down, but raising awareness about fraudulent robo-calls will save people from getting scammed. I didnā€™t call this number back, but the number most likely might be out of service, but I could be wrong, so I suggest calling. Supposedly, this scammer was also impersonating the Biden administration.

Voicemail:

Transcript: ā€œHello, my name is Eva Greene, state number SS694. This is a notification calling from our department of Tax Debt Financial Settlement Services. The purpose of this call is to inform all U.S. citizens on our state list about the new Tax Debt Compromise Program. This program is part of the American Rescue Plan, put into effect by the Biden administration, and is now open for enrollment. The new Tax Debt Owed Compromise Program will allow you to significantly reduce or eliminate your tax debt. Your tax debt can now be considered temporarily ā€˜non collectableā€™. However, you must enroll into the program now. It is only open for a limited time. To enroll in the Tax Debt Compromise Program, please call me back at my assigned number, 6 1 4, 9 5 7, 8 8 6 3. This message has been marked completed by Eva Greene, state number SS694ā€.

How this scam works: Debt relief service scams target their victims with significant credit card debt by falsely promising to work with the victimsā€™ credit/debit card or bank to eliminate or otherwise reduce consumersā€™ debt. These operations often charge people, in heavy debt, a large up-front fee, but fail to help them pay or lower the debt they (the victims who are being targeted by the scammers) owe, whether service is provided or not. Sometimes debt relief scams even advertise their scams using automated robocalls to victims, especially those on the Do-Not-Call List.

TCPA Violation
(b) RESTRICTIONS ON THE USE OF AUTOMATED TELEPHONE EQUIPMENT.ā€”
(1) PROHIBITIONS. ā€” It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States, or any person outside the United States if the recipient is within the United Statesā€”
Violation ā€“ "(iii) to any telephone number assigned to a paging service, cellular
telephone service, specialized mobile radio service, or other radio
common carrier service, or any service for which the called party is
charged for the call; "

1 Like

You can sue a violator of the TCPA for $500-$1,500 in statutory damages. Go try it.

2 Likes

True and some states have additional penalties. The state of Pennsylvania comes to mind. In PA, it you call anyone 60 years or older who is on the DNC, itā€™s a $3,000.00 fine! Iā€™m not sure that many people file complaints, but thatā€™s a hefty fine! :grin:

2 Likes

What about Massachusetts?

1 Like

Dunno about any state-specific laws, but there is still the TCPA federal law.