Spectrum scam (646) 974-0407

Scam Number: (646) 974-0407
Scammer’s Website or Email: robocall
Additional information about this scam:
Fake Spectrum TV/Internet
Lahore, Pakistan

2 Likes

Curious, how does this particular scam work?

3 Likes

These Lahore, Pakistani scammers offer 30% discount as a promotion for"loyal" customers. They ask for checking account or bank card details.

4 Likes

I get a ton of these from various 646 numbers.

I’m assuming that the CID is spoofed and it’s a dead end as far as baiting or tcpa is concerned.

But if anyone has any ideas for engaging these callers please let me know. I get them all the time and I record the calls as well so I might be able to produce something.

1 Like

Almost all Spectrum calls originate from Lahore, Pakistan

Welcome to the community! @barryspar :tada:

1 Like

And what is the purpose of the scam? Is it identity theft? SIM swapping?

Can I ask how you know where the scam is taking place?

Thanks

1 Like

there have been hundreds of the exact same scam from Pakistan
Pakistan and Indian accents are very different.
Many Pakistan scams are very refined because they don’t do a lot of different scams, they tend to concentrate on the same script for a long time.

I talk to them often in Urdu and Punjabi. Six months ago I used grabify a few times to capture their IP.
Scam: They pretend to offer 30% discount to your existing TV/Internet bill but want 3 months payment by check or money-order to some shady PO Box in the USA.

1 Like

Ah ha! So maybe the buddhu I talked to recently who wanted me to send a check for a $650 “deposit” to a p.o. box in NJ wasn’t Indian. (He’s still a buddhu, though.)
He did seem to know who Pierogi and Kitboga are. :smiling_imp:
If it’s that widespread, maybe something will happen with the report I sent to the Postal Inspection Service, even though I didn’t lose any money.
Thanks for helping me learn something new today.
And to barryspar, welcome to the community.

1 Like

He is Buddhu from Lahore, Pakistan. They speak Urdu and Punjabi.
I was told to send $280 to PO Box in NJ

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll be sending you a PM.

1 Like

Just to add one thing, in addition to the texts I also have audio recording of the calls because I record all the incoming calls on my phone.

I got another one on the phone today. He said he’s from DirecTV, I’m going to get a $30 discount for the next 3 years, but I need to send a $250 deposit of some kind to an address in Alabama.

I told him I don’t have a pen so he needs to text me the address. So in addition to the spoofed caller ID he called me from, I have his other number, which I don’t even need to bother checking as I’m sure it’s a text now number.

Is there any purpose in reporting this to law enforcement? Or do they not bother to follow up on these addresses. And if so, do I report it to the US postal inspection service, FBI, State Police?

2 Likes

You could add the other number into this thread, for anyone who’s so inclined to take a run at. I would, for one. “Hey, dipstick, ya gave me the wrong mailing address, and my check got returned. Do ya want payment for your ‘very expensive software,’ or not?”
The (802) number I got (I think I posted it somewhere on here) still always goes to voicemail. I played a screaming chicken sound clip into it yesterday. They can’t call me back with the correct address because I use SpoofCard, but I’m not sure anyone checks the messages, anyway.
If they’re asking for payment to be sent via the postal system, then I’d give the address to the Postal Inspection Service. Since you didn’t lose any money, they might not do anything with it, but it might catch some interest somewhere, especially if the address has been flagged in any other complaints. Maybe they can bag a money mule.
I reported the p.o. box in NJ, and one in Albuquerque NM, but the nitwit had obviously wrong ZIP codes on that one, and the box number didn’t seem right, either.
Alternatively, how are you at building glitterbombs? :grin:

I wish I knew how…

I have filled the forms at the USPIS before but I think they just file it away and forget about it… So it’s not worth my time. I had screenshots and call recordings etc and they never asked me for them.

I called the cops in that area and the state AG and they all weren’t interested so unfortunately little old grandmothers will keep losing their savings until someone in government decides to get serious about scammers.

And there is ALWAYS a textnow line involved. I just called a Norton refund scam center and every scammer had a backup Textnow now line.

I used to report it to Textnow but I don’t think they care either.

1 Like