Shutting down a number vs baiting?

Which is better?
1 - Flood the numbers with as many calls as possible causing them to have to shut down the number
2 - Keep the line active, so that we can call them and mess with them - reverse into their machines etc…

1 Like

Not everyone can bait, not everyone can flood. I think it’s less of a “which is better”, and more of a “do what you do best”.

5 Likes

I think none is better, they all have their own strong points and weak points. It works well as long as it doesn’t cross paths and effect people who are doing baiting or flooding then whatever you know.

3 Likes

Whatever is going to prevent the most victims from being scammed is always the best choice. Don’t worry about if you are interfering with other scambaiters, since that is the goal of all scambaiters, to protect victims. At least that is what should be the priority here, right?

5 Likes

I am in a better position to flood their lines as I can setup my diallers. If everybody does their bit on whatever winds these thieving bastards up, let us hit them on all fronts.

3 Likes

It depends if it affects someone like Jim’s access to monitoring scammers then that’s when you should worry about interfering for example doing things like deleting files Deleting Files/Running Malware = Pointless, saying ‘someone called me and told me it was a scam’ especially mentioning a real scambaiters name or teachers the scammers or teaching scammers about other scam baiters.

Those times you should worry but most of the time you won’t be interfering with other scam baiters or rarely at all IG.

While one of the goals is to protect victims for most people, the main goal really is to shut them down or get them arrested which leads to more potential victims being protected.

3 Likes

In theory, it would be better to occupy a number with scambaiters. Keep all the scammers busy, so that way they can’t scam an actual person. They don’t realize they arent able to scam until it’s too late. If you could keep an entire call center busy with scambaiters, there’s going to be a significant opportunity loss.

Sadly, that doesn’t happen. So realistically getting them to shut down a number is better but only stops them until they change numbers/etc. For popup campaigns, it only interferes for a few minutes at most.

Hence why I feel automated scambaiting is going to be the next thing.

2 Likes

We don’t rely on numbers for access to monitor their activities, since that is done through network access. If I can shut down the number, I wouldn’t hesitate.

3 Likes

I agree. IMHO, Popup numbers are best baited, not flooded.

1 Like

I am honestly not so sure if flooding isn’t more helpful then baiting. while traditional scambaiting is generally more fun and it wastes scammers time, I have noticed more times when I mess with them with a short and quick soundboard and repetitively calling them (with 2 lines separately), I have noticed those call center/centre’s disconnect phone lines. So I think overall both are effective.

2 Likes

You need an initial gateway though. I was saying a more in general sort of thing with numbers yeah killing them isn’t an issue in regards to my point usually.

1 Like

Neither work. They just change their number. The best way to stop them is to arrest them and put them in jail.

1 Like

I understand that, but if they have already established “monitoring”, then shutting down a number won’t interfere with what they are doing. Once into their systems, we can see what numbers they are using and shut them down from the inside too.
If they haven’t yet established anything, then it still won’t matter if the number got shut down, since you wouldn’t be interfering with anything yet. So either way, I don’t see how shutting down a number(s) would affect anyone baiting them, other than those who are just wasting their time.

I still maintain that preventing people from becoming victims is the top method to stopping them. Combining shut down numbers with educating people about the various scams is how you can save the most people.

3 Likes

My point was in general, not just about numbers even though that was the original post. I should of made it more clear.

1 Like

It ALL works😂whatta mean😆

2 Likes

I agree 100% with you on this.

1 Like

I employ a 3rd option: use a limited number of dialing bots to call them up and play sound effects until they willingly park their number. It’s not call flooding: it’s call pranking / harassing them. I do this every day at 8am EST and I typically take out 7 numbers, which come back online after about two hours. During that time, victims are spared. Then the scambaiters start calling them.

7 Likes

I like your theroy😂. I just call til the cows come home. Mooooo000000OOOOO

2 Likes

How many channels does this take up ?

1 Like

Both. Solidarity is the most important thing. I believe that a multi-prong approach works best and includes all of the above Personally, I believe that flooding toll-free numbers is very effective and it costs them a lot of money, the only language they seem to understand.
But going after them from all angles and by what baiters are comfortable with is key as they all have their place.

4 Likes