RCI Vacation Club - Sell unused weeks

Scam Number: 689-407-1867

I’ve had this one in the past. They call people that have a Vacation Club membership and offer to sell ‘unused’ weeks. They want an upfront fee to do so and offer some judicious amount for your ‘weeks’.

So are they impersonating Vacation Club? How do we know if they aren’t them or not. Could you explain this scam in a bit more detail please?

Their BBB page is full of complaints: https://www.bbb.org/us/fl/orlando/profile/timeshare-resale-and-rental-marketing/international-resort-club-0733-90795943

The main gist of complaints and “scam” seems to be that when people give them their unused weeks to sell, they charge like $600 bucks to put them on the market, but it seems like they never get sold. One review says they called their timeshare company and they said it was a complete scam; so it could be someone impersonating them, or it could also be misunderstanding of the fine print.

But the main thing to take away from this is that there is no concrete evidence of a scam, if not yet.

Don’t be fooled yall! I worked across the hall from collections department for a timeshare and learned so much that even real ones the sales folks will tell you anything over the phone and in person to get your money but if it’s not in writing it’s not binding and you’re screwed!

I just got one of these calls. I don’t know how they looked up our info but they knew mine and my spouse’s name and our timeshare ownership location. They tried to explain that I had unused weeks through RCI that were separate from my localized timeshare ownership, which makes no sense at all, but they insisted that I had been given some weeks for attending a previous sales presentation. They asked if I wanted to rent them out to other people for $1800 and we would just pay an activation fee of $399. I asked them how we would know when someone had bought our weeks because I dont want to pay $399 for no guarantee. They assured me that after a brief hold they’d be able to look up contracts that were already ready to match to our available weeks and once we paid the activation fee and signed the agreement we would see the money within 60 days. The way she stressed that “theres no risk on your end” and “we don’t take a commission from your profits” I just didn’t see why they’d be putting effort into setting up this whole thing since the whole point of RCI is trading weeks with other users without this whole middleman situation she was trying to pull. I asked if I could see the contract first before I agreed because she could tell me things all day long on the phone but I’d be a lot less unsure if I could read it in front of me. She told me I’d need to put a credit card on file and tried to assure me nothing would be charged until I signed it but I’ve always been told you should never give your card unless you see the writing and especially not from someone who found you and not you calling them first. The salesperson finally relented and said she would email it to me but that I needed to hurry to take advantage of this limited time offer. After an hour of not receiving the email I felt my sketchy vibes were warranted and ended up googling the phone number.

(689) 407-1867 This is there VM. Tuesday 9-13-22 8:12PM EST