Partner keeps falling for scams

Okay don’t just say he’s stupid (he’s actually not) I need to try to get him to stop lol basically on Facebook marketplace he often pays through paypal and they ghost him, I keep trying to tell him even if it’s not a lot stop paying digitally pay cash only upon collection.

Other thing he falls for is phishing scams. Always clicks that link for a “missed parcel” or when google shows a fake version of a legit website he’ll start entering login details.

I’ve had to tell him, don’t click any message or email links before showing me and stop paying facebook sellers digitally as there is no protection. I don’t know if he will listen this time. I recently had to say all of this because he clicked a bogus evri link, entered his card details to pay “30p” for postage as some parcel had wrong address or something (the usual excuses)

Within seconds of him telling me this, I had him show me the message, pointed out the typos and reasoned with him (evri “premium” doesn’t exist, and if it did, the seller would be paying for this not the buyer.) and showed him there was no 30p charge taken and explained they just wanted his card info to steal everything. I cancelled his card and had a new one shipped out immediately. No damage done.

He does have untreated ADHD (it’s a long story, NHS…) and had encephalopathy from one of his comas (severe genetic disease, I’m his carer, it’s mostly under control now, his previous carer neglected him hence comas)

So he tends to be impulsive and also doesn’t seem to see “risk” in things the same way we do. It was worse when he was more ill, I used to have to hold his arm across the road and yank (gently) him across the road when a car started coming because he wouldn’t react until the car was passed.

Like I said it’s a lot better than it was but I think it’s as good as it’ll get. Ironically he’s pretty tech savvy, he enjoys building virtual machines, playing around with operating systems, upgrading hardware etc and if something electrical goes bust he will take it apart and fix it at the source. Like I said, not stupid. It’s that impulse control that is the problem

I don’t know if there is anything else I can do? I’m hoping there is something, even if it’s small.

2 Likes

Okay he’s just had someone take £50 from his bank account after several failed tries discovered by the bank. They’re issuing ANOTHER card and blocked the criminal’s access to it for apple pay. But she was very vague and didnt restore a whole lot of confidence that this person doesn’t have information still he can do something else with. I issued him a new card as soon as he gave the details to a phishing link and he hasn’t clicked on anything since. Lady just issued another new card. We just got paid for bills. I’m very concerned this person will still have access. lady was so vague and even suggested that opening a new bank account won’t work lol

2 Likes