Medicare Scammers at it again

Scammer’s Number: (848) 214-2198

Extra Info: Called me about 10 minutes ago. Cursed me out in Hindi. I wonder if it could have been something I said. :thinking:

2 Likes

What are those people all about? I’m confused as to whether they’re third party lead generators who are getting paid by the underlying insurer, or if their game is to cold call seniors and capture their personal information during the call to the insurer - so they can scam them later?

I have received at least 800 of these calls over the past three months - sometimes two or three at the same time - I’ll just conference them together when that happens ha.

They either are stealing people’s identities by appearing as medical IRS or getting them to buy “supplement plans” or both.

Probably to get CC numbers and such, probably nothing to do with anything close to legal. They need to just outlaw the whole process. It’s billions of dollars a year getting stolen from our elderly and it’s messing up our communications networks. It’s a cesspool with facialbook and gaggle absorbing the internet, making people think the internet is well regulated and they can relax, blurring the lines between phones and “the internet”, what a mess. :confused:

on top of everything these scumbags ripping off the elderly and people that obviously must want additional health insurance, most likely denied by other real insurers falling into these traps and losing what little money they have left.
Makes me sick.

2 Likes

There is a good article about it on the Medicare website (Medicare.gov) Apparently, access to your Medicare/Medicaid or private health insurance ID card or records can be used in various ways. Cybercriminals will use this information to get medical services, sell medical services to others, fill prescriptions and use other benefits, or they may send fake bills to your health insurer to receive money/reimbursements, including Medicare. Last year (2020) it is estimated that 13 Billion dollars in fraudulent medical bills were paid. Obviously this costs taxpayers a lot of money and raises medical and insurance costs for everyone.

1 Like

" Guard your Medicare card and protect your personal information, never give your Medicare number to anyone over the phone

• Don’t share your Medicare Number or other personal information with anyone who contacts you by phone, email, or by approaching you in person, unless you’ve given them permission in advance.
  • Plans don’t need your personal information to give a quote. Medicare, or your Medicare plan representative will never call and ask for you Medicare number or personal information.
    *If someone calls you and asks for your Medicare Number or other personal information, hang up immediately and call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY: 1-877-486-2048.

1 Like

All are good point that you guys have brought up. They’re usually an identity theft scam to get people’s Medicare and Social Security numbers to then obtain different things impersonating elderly Americans. Often, it is also to bill Medicare fraudulently for various “services” and “medical equipment” provided, such as “knee brace scams” and “genetic testing scams”. They rob both senior citizens and US Government. Many such scammers are also US-based with California being the main “nest” of Medicare scammers (Armenians and Filipinos actually play a major role in them in California). I always call them from my TextNow number to obtain as much info as I can and then report them to: 1. FTC 2. Office of the Inspector General U.S. Department of Health and Human Services 3. My State Consumer Protection Bureau.

Also, guess what VOIP company provides the majority of numbers to such scammers??? - YES, you’re right, it is Onvoy/Intelliquent. Please write to FTC, your State Senators, FCC and AG Josh Stein of NC about Onvoy harboring scams. The latter leads the battle on scams and robocalls.

1 Like

(832) 365-4678 is also used by scammers. This number is active as of 10:15 AM CST. They’re placing numerous phone calls in violations of TCPA, including people on the DNC List. These appear to be American scammers.

1 Like

Add: (812) 438-6332

1 Like