Magicjack Fraud Support Experience (Case Study)

I bring another to everyone another case involving a PayPal technical support scam on Magic Jack. The number: 408-660-8044, was reported to Magic Jack by a colleague on August 20, 2024. On August 26, 2024, Magic Jack responded by stating that an investigation was being conducted to make sure that such fraudulent activity does not continue. Calling the number back on August 26, 2024 presents a disconnection message, which Magic Jack did not update my colleague on.

Just to confirm, the number has been disconnected for fraud but it took Magic Jack 6 days to respond to the original report, which they then never updated my collogue that the number had been suspended on the 6th day.

Elapsed time for this case: 6 days.

I have 2 more cases to share. Numbers: 509-671-9005, which is currently being used to run a PayPal technical support scam, and number: 310-272-9051, is being used to run a Publishers Clearing House scam.

Both numbers were reported to Magic Jack on August 20, 2024. On August 26, 2024 - some 6 days later, Magic Jack responded to the email by stating that an investigation has begun and further steps will be taken to assure that such activity does not continue.

Calling the numbers back on August 26, 2024 and due to the fact that the same responses have often been sent whilst the number or numbers have been taken down for fraud, both numbers are still live and answering.

Both numbers have been purchased by scammers overseas. One in India and one in Jamaica.

Elapsed time for this case: 6 days

Another update for 8034003324. Magic Jack contacted my colleague today, August 27, 2024 after following up on the previous claim that the number had been suspended. Magic Jack once again claimed to have suspended the number.

After calling the number back on August 27, 2024, the number is still live and still sporting a phone Text Now message, which is something that Arlo scammers are known to do when using Magic Jack as they do not want to keep losing their call back number for fraud. They use phony voicemail messages from other providers as a way to throw off people should the try to report the number.

This is now the second time Magic Jack has claimed to have shut a number down for fraud when they have not.

Elapsed time for this case: 15 days

I have another case to publish on this thread.

Number: 206-687-9109 is being used to run an Apple technical support scam.

It was verified to be running a scam and reported by the team on August 23, 2024. On August 27, 2024 - 4 days later, Magic Jack responded, stating that an investigation was being conducted to make sure that such activity does not continue to occur.

Upon calling the number back on August 27, 2024, the number is still live and the scammer has disabled inbound calling on his or her account.

Elapsed time for this case: 4 days

I have a final update on this case. On August 27, 2024, the team followed up on this case after Magic Jack claimed to have taken the down the number for the second time (it was not), 2 days later on August 29, 2024, Magic Jack once again responded to this case by stating that the number had been deactivated.

Calling the number back on August 29, 2024 now presents a disconnection message.

Elapsed time for this case: 17 days