Looking for help with a fake Con Ed scam call

IMPORTANT: FOR THE TIME BEING PLEASE DON’T BLAST OR PRANK THIS NUMBER. I’m trying to reel them in and get more information about them rather than shut them down. If you plan on calling this number please only do information gathering rather than blasting or pranking.

Scam Number: +13473388972
Scammer’s Website or Email:
Additional information about this scam: I received a call from this number today. The caller stated that I hadn’t paid my Con Edison utility bill and wanted my checking account information (nice try). I offered to “pay” by debit card because I wanted to pull a privacy.com card on them but they insisted that they need checking information.

I believe this call may be related to a utility robo call center.

I haven’t called them back yet but they implied that the number they were calling from was a valid callback number, because I told him I would call them back at this number with checking account information later.

If anyone has a way of helping to find out who they are either through the phone number, or if anyone knows of a system similar to privacy.com which works using checking numbers, I would love to hear about it.

2 Likes

Thick Indian accent and foul mouth. Answers the phone HELLO? So professional. I am sure ConEd would say F Off and then block your number.

1 Like

374-338-8972 Male Wednesday 4-19-23 3:13PM EST

According to twilio this is a Skype number. I don’t have any experience in tracking down people based on Skype numbers though.

1 Like

I was hitting them with 6 VoIP numbers and a few apps. They folded like a cheap suitcase. These energy company scams are among the worst!
I keep the number in memory just in case they parked the number. I’m fishing for other numbers they may have.
This is a job for @Dragon1

4 Likes

Please keep me posted, thanks!

2 Likes

I’ll see what I can find out and I’ll message you

1 Like

IMPORTANT: FOR THE TIME BEING PLEASE DON’T BLAST OR PRANK THIS NUMBER. I’m trying to reel them in and get more information about them rather than shut them down. If you plan on calling this number please only do information gathering rather than blasting or pranking.

Hi mate didn’t get nothing accept he wanted a check number to pay the bill straight away over the phone refused any details but was happy to take money by check used a fake name also

2 Likes

It’s a shame they don’t take credit card because that makes it much easier to trap them. I don’t know any tricks with checking and I’m definitely not giving them a real checking account info on the phone.

I tried all different ways they only want check details so they can put in any amount of money to clear that is there motive

1 Like

Indian scammer wants check $170.32 Shawn Carver
Hear Metro trains, so in Mumbai or Delhi
https://soundcloud.com/nigella-blum/edison-power-scam-420

1 Like

I was wrong NOT Indian but Pakistani from Multan
Country
Pakistan, Multan
Orientation landscape-primary
Timezone America/Los_Angeles PDT
User Time Thu Apr 20 2023 12:49:39 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Language en-US
Incognito/Private Window No
Ad Blocker No
Screen Size 1366 x 768

2 Likes

@drwat really appreciate this!

I have reason to believe that these people also work for a call center selling energy service such as electricity and gas for deregulated small companies in the New York metro area. And that the checking account type scan is a side gig for them. I’m trying to find out who they work for in their official day job.

2 Likes

This audio shows scamming PG&E customer
Scammers in Multan, Pakistan. I speak in their language.
Alexander the Great crossed Multan in BC 325 BC

1 Like

This is fantastic! What did he say in their language?

I had a long conversation with “Adam Smith”. He has another number +1 205-483-2193. The audio file is too big for me to upload. I will try to do a SoundCloud.

He seemed willing to talk but ask me to call him when he’s not working…