International Monetary Fund (IMF) Scam Question

I am currently scambaiting someone who claims to be from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and wants to refund some of my “stolen money”. The FBI are also involved so it has got to be legitimate! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyhow, they gave me a Western Union MTCN number before asking me to pay a fee. I checked the MTCN number and it is active which I was surprised to find. They then told me that I had to pay a $250 fee (of course) to get my refund before I collect the money from Western Union. I’ve never seen a scam like this where they give you an active MTCN before asking for money.

My assumption is that they are “paying” one of their friends/relatives a small amount of money via Western Union, to give them an active MTCN, and therefore only paying a small fee in the hope that I send the $250. Just wondering what my fellow Scambaiters know about this type of scam?

(I’m not sure if this is classed as a Government Scam so please move it Mods if I’ve put it in the wrong place. Thanks!)

1 Like