[HowTo] Change Line In "Listen to this device" / "Playback on device" via hotkeys/macros

I was trying to change the “Listen to this device” and “Playback on device” feature on my Line In device by hotkey and found a lack of google results. I ended up piecing multiple searches together to come up with a solution myself.

Step 1: Disable “Listen to this device”

1. Right click sound :loud_sound: icon in the tray and click “Open Sound Settings”
  2. On the right side, click “Sound Control Panel”
  3. Click on “Recording” tab
  4. Right click on “Line In” and click “Properties”
  5. Click “Listen” tab
  6. Uncheck the box “Listen to this device”
  7. Change “Playback through this device” back to “Default Playback Device”
  8. Click “Ok”
  9. Click “Ok”

Step 2: Install / Configure Voicemeeter

1. Download & Install voicemeeter https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/
  2. Run Voicemeeter
  3. On left side click the number 1 with down arrow beside it and then click on “Line In”
  4. On the right side, click on A1 with the down arrow beside it (this is list of output devices - TV, Headphones, Speakers, etc.)
  5. Click on whichever output you want to use for now. It is advised to test each output you wish to use, and write down their names in Notepad temporarily. Do not include “WDM:”, “KS:”, “MME:”, “ASIO:”, or any other prefix with colon (“:”).
  6. Click Menu (top right) and click on “System Tray” to check it
  7. Click Menu (top right) and click on “Run on Windows Startup” to check it
  8. Click Menu (top right) and click Save Settings (save a profile somewhere)
  9. Click Menu (top right) and click “Load settings on startup”
  10. Select the settings file from step 8
  11. Click the “X” in the top right of Voicemeeter, it will go down to the tray area

Step 3: Install / Configure Macro Deck

1. Download & Install Macro Deck on your PC and mobile phone https://macrodeck.org/download (Make sure to select the correct network adapter during install - likely “Ethernet”)
  2. Open Macro Deck
  3. Click Settings icon on the left side (bottom left)
  4. Check “Automatically start with Windows”
  5. Click Plugins icon on the left side (looks like a puzzle piece)
  6. Click the “Online” tab
  7. Locate Voicemeeter plugin and click on it
  8. Click on “Install”

Step 4: Configure Macro Deck Buttons

1. Click on the 6 dots icon (top left) to bring up the macro board
  2. Right click the first macro button and click “Edit”
  3. Click the hotkey text box in the bottom left and set your hotkey for button 1. I used CTRL + ALT + 1
  4. Underneath “Actions” click “On Press”
  5. Click the + button below it and click “Action”
  6. On the left side, click “Voicemeeter Plugin” and then click “Advanced”
  7. This is where we enter the command to change the Audio output. Enter in
    Bus(0).Device.wdm = "LG TV (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)" ;
    but change my device name to yours that you wrote down in notepad previously
  8. Click on “Ok”
  9. Change the Icon by clicking the pencil icon in the top-left and select an icon. I will not provide instructions for custom icons. Google for instructions :slight_smile:
  10. Click “Ok”
  11. Click “Ok”
  12. Repeat steps 1-10 for each output device, putting them each on their own macro buttons + hotkeys
  13. Test your macro buttons by pressing them. Test your hotkeys by pressing the combinations
  14. Click the X in the top right to close to the tray area

Step 4: Configure Macro Deck Mobile App

1. Open the Macro Deck application on your computer (it may already be running in the tray area)
  2. Install Macro Deck from the Google Play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.suchbyte.macrodeck
  3. Open the Macro Deck app on your Mobile
  4. On mobile app, type in the IP address that you see in the Macro Deck application on your computer. If you changed the port number, type in the port number as well
  5. Press connect. Your macro buttons should appear
  6. Upon reopening the Macro Deck app, you can click on the recent connection under “Recent connections”
  7. If your new added macro button does not show inside the app, exit the app, and start it again
  8. Test your mobile macro buttons work

If everything went correctly, you should now be able to use hotkeys (CTRL + ALT + 1, etc.) as well as macro buttons on your computer and mobile to change your audio output.