How to avoid getting scammed

I just wanted to talk about some things you can do to avoid getting scammed, send this thread to people you think might get scammed so we can stop scams faster

So this is a thread focused on Phishing, this is the act of pretending you are someone you aren't to get things like money, here are some tells to email Phishing scams:

• -

Bad grammar

Most scammers don’t speak English well and make grammar and speling mistakes

• -

A sense of hurry
    Scammers will say "act now or [something bad will happen]" so they don't let you think that it might be a scam, no real company will ever rush you and might even give you up to 2 weeks notice

• -

Not mentioning you
    Scammers don't know your real name, and because of this they will say things like "Hello", "Dear Mr./Mrs.", or "Hi dear", companies will always use the name you signed up with as a way to combat scammers

• If you suspect you have been sent a Phishing email you can contact the company by their website, NEVER use link(s) embedded in the phishing email. If you know the email is for Phishing you can forward it to [email protected]

P.T. 2

For tech support scams it is easy to tell, no website can detect if you have a virus or not, if you get a website saying "Windows had detected you have a virus call [this number] to fix it", don't. Scammers will also never request you to connect to your PC with remote access software like Teamviewer, Anydesk, or PCHelp. No company will ever ask you to send a "tracking payment" to them, or ask you to type the payment.

Here is more information about Phishing scams: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-recognize-and-avoid-phishing-scams
    And here are examples of tech support popup scams: https://popupdb.org/

Please try not to get scammed,
    - X

@Player_X_YT#173884

"Scammers don't know your real name"
    I gotta disagree on that one. They may not always know your name, but especially cold callers do. Not only do they have sheets with information about every one of their next target, but they can also find people's names by googling their number.

@multivitamin#173886 I mean for email Phishers, it’s just a good rule of thumb, if they don’t mention you by name, it’s a scam

In terms of Email Phishing, they also tend to BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) it as a means of mass mailing it. This way you can’t see the other recipients.

So, seeing the BCC field can be another highlight.

@Eth0_Sec#173899 Scammers don’t use BBC because although you can’t see who it was set to, you can see there is a BBC, they will make a bot for mass mailing which is against spam laws An Act to promote the efficiency and adaptability of the Canadian economy by regulating certain activities that discourage reliance on electronic means of carrying out commercial activities, and to amend the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Act, the Competition Act, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and the Telecommunications Act

@Player_X_YT#173906 Telling you from my experience. Lot of them will use BCC. Pretty much all you get from muguguesbook will do that

very good write up! I hope the elderly are able to read this as they are the ones who need the most help!