FTScanners Feedback

This is a feedback thread for the FearToxin scanners. You may have seen the scanners on forums recently, if not I will link them below. I would very much appreciate feedback on them, as well as insight as to whether or not they are being used at all. If nobody is using them I will probably turn them off and limit them to discord again as having them here makes scraping much easier. I won’t be offended if you want me off the forums, I know the scanners generate a lot of posts, so feel free to tell me. The feedback that I have received thus far is:
Include carrier lookup/whether or not it is a textnow number
More categories like the one for PCH (holding off on this cuz it will mean more of the homepage is taken up)
C̶l̶a̶r̶i̶f̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶c̶l̶a̶i̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶

If you have any questions feel free to ask them here too.

2 Likes

First off, apologies for reporting you before the posts were consolidated into their own threads. I felt like it was becoming quantity-over-quality, so I had to consult with staff so they could be consolidated into their own threads.

Second, I think it would be nice to add additional offshoots of the Nomorobo scanner for Medicare, Social Security and tax relief calls.

4 Likes

Don’t worry about that, it was well deserved :sweat_smile:. I changed the code right before going to bed when I should’ve left it. Thanks for the advice, I’ll get on those. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally, I like them!
I find keeping up with all of the scanners in discord a bit difficult, this way I can just turn on notifications for the scanners I’m interested and check the others if I want. I know I can do that in discord too, but I’m more active here than on discord.
Therefore, I say keep them!
One thing I would like, and I have no idea how possible this is, but the images that are included in the posts for the popup scanner are inaccessible to me as a blind screen reader user. I’m not sure that the images contain necessary info, but if they could be generated in plain text where possible, that would be amazing. not super necessary, as I can click the popups, but still. A nice to have, not a required. :slight_smile: Keep up the good work!

5 Likes

I’m glad I asked then, I would have never thought of that. The images are just a screen capture of the popup, and until now I always excluded the number from the output because I didn’t want flooders to be able to scrape the numbers, and its harder for bots to get the number out of the image. I’ll definitely have to reevaluate that now. Thank you for the kind words and advice!

3 Likes

I’ve used the threads and just filter words to find items I am interested in. Would it be alright to create a separate post if we find a number we wanna highlight? Instead of commenting on the thread itself? Thank you and your team for all this work!

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s totally fine! I made these tools to help people, anything to that end is acceptable use, and as long as the mods don’t mind the duplicates (I doubt they will). I don’t really put any work into finding them so you really aren’t stealing credit from anyone or anything like that, so don’t worry about stepping on my toes or whatever. I just take them from NomoRobo anyway. All this is to say, yes, you can redistribute them as you please and you don’t need to worry about crediting me or anyone else. I’m glad you are getting some use out of it more than anything else. Keep fighting the good fight :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We don’t mind you talking in a separate post about the numbers posted in the scanner @Sol

5 Likes

A lot of the posts are either spoofed numbers for real companies or they are totally useless. They cannot be moderated as it would take forever to try and call them all. I have tried to do that and have deleted ones that are proven to not be scammers or that do not work.

4 Likes

That is definitely a big issue with it, and one that will be pretty hard to mitigate. Do you call the numbers at the top of the message or the one within the transcript? If its just the inbound numbers that are the issue I can remove those. If you have any other solutions or if you think they are better off just being removed, lmk. Thanks for the help!

@JusticeinTexas
pinged because the replies seem to be buggy

3 Likes

might be a good idea to put a disclaimer after the number saying number might be spoofed, call with caution

6 Likes

This is the warning that is currently included with each post, so it does give a pretty clear disclaimer I think. Still not good to be posting spoofed numbers in the first place though. This thread is all about ironing out the kinks though, so if anyone has a suggestion for something that should be changed, or if you can write a better version I will implement it and credit you. :slight_smile: Thanks for all the feedback!

This is a spam call listed on Nomorobo’s site. The transcript is below. You are responsible for vetting any numbers you call. It is often the case that you should call the number in the transcript, not the inbound one. Use your better judgement to rule out possible charities and whatnot. These numbers have not been confirmed by humans! If you would like to join our discord for more scanners, click here.If you call, please respond to this message and let others know whether or not the number works.

Number: (321) 265-5869 --This number is likely spoofed, look for the real one in the transcript.

2 Likes

I call both numbers. If neither answer, I delete the post or if it is spoofed.

2 Likes

This! I have gotten through to so many real companies so far today testing this. Had better luck yesterday getting through to real scammers though. Some days are better than others.

3 Likes

Yes, it is hard to moderate. I try to go through as many as possible to check them out. But it takes a lot of time to do it.

4 Likes

That makes sense. Thank you for keeping a handle on it. Is there anything that you would like me to change on my end?

2 Likes

Not that I can think of, my friend.

2 Likes

Update on this: I added a bit of code to just extract the number, this way people will be less likely to call the junk one. There is now a carrier lookup too. I may entirely remove the outbound number, ill leave that open to discussion on this thread. I’d leave the link to the original post on nomorobo so people can still call it if they really want to.

Hey Sal, I put in some code to extract the numbers and I got rid of the popup portal which I’m guessing wouldn’t go well with the screen reader. Not 100% sure the code works but hopefully once I get it going it should help you out :). I am somewhat worried that this will make the numbers easier to flood so if flooding does become an issue I may disable it but I thought it would be worth trying out at least.

2 Likes