FTC penalizes XCast Labs for illegal robocalls.

SOURCE: https://cordcuttersnews.com/ftc-issues-10-million-penalty-to-this-service-provider-facilitating-robocalls/

A $10 million settlement has been reached between the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and XCast Labs, Inc., a VoIP service provider who facilitated millions of illegal robocalls on their network despite receiving multiple warnings.

• XCast Labs was one of several VoIP providers that received a letter from the FTC in 2020, alerting them of illegal activity on their network. But they kept hosting illegal robocalls on their network, including ones by organized campaigns to generate leads by impersonating the Social Security Administration.
  • The company has been prohibited from violating the telemarketing sales rule and permanently banned from assisting and facilitating high-risk customers or hosting spoofed calls.
  • According to their webpage, the company is partnered with AT&T, Bandwidth.com,. Cisco, EarthLink, GrandStream, Level 3 Communications (Lumen Technologies), Onvoy (Sinch), Peerless Network, Polycom, Verizon and Yealink.
3 Likes

Yes, this is very much usually the case. Based on my experience, I suspect said “VOIP wholesalers” have been receiving numerous complaints about these illegal robocalls. Yet, they likely chose not to do anything out of pure greed and lack of decency and respect for the law. Their general response is “we do not see any calls made to you” or “we don’t make these calls, so we aren’t liable and can’t do anything about them”. I have been experiencing a never-ending flow of illegal robocalls from the networks of Lumen, Onvoy, Peerless Network and Telnyx. They usually refuse to take down violators’ numbers. I wonder WHY? I think we all know the answer to this question.

1 Like