ChatGPT on scambaiting

Kinda curious what do y’all think about ChatGPT on this, this came from the idea of asking about kitboga makes his fake bank account.

Note, I can give you more of the discussion between this bot, its basically the same jargon.

1 Like

But many scambaiters bring results. Like find money mules, bank accounts of scammers. These scambaiters contact legal authorities and bank fraud departments.
Moreover they create awareness of various scams.

1 Like

I find it interesting how it mentions law enforcement doing something about scams. While technically true, I wonder where it got that from, as as far as I know, the governing law/law enforcement in many areas just don’t care/aren’t equipped to combat the issue. I also wonder about it saying “scammers are always coming up with new ways to scam people, and the scambaiter may not be able to keep up with new techniques.”
For the most part, scammers typically DON’T change their methods of scamming, rather their stories/way of persuading the victim. I’d say there’s two main methods that they use, being A) posing as a legitimate company/government body, B) Scare tactics and instilling fear in the victim, through means of threats, fake dangers (ex. your computer won’t work and you’ll be in legal hot water)

I think that it’s pretty on for the legality side in certain instances, as we obviously see some illegality/trouble with the law, especially with the scammerblaster situation, however, I also think that it’s also overestimating what the majority of scambaiters are doing, which is wasting time on the phone lines, which I don’t think is illegal.

1 Like

I got into scambaiting because some people in my retirement community got scammed and I wanted to understand how things worked. It’s a given that you can’t be scammed unless you participate in the scam. Scammers know this, so they use fear, coddling, and prevarication into getting people to play along and surrender their money. I decided that education was the most important because it stopped the scam before it started. I now offer classes for everyone on computer safety, have a monthly newsletter on scams and computer safety, and am on call for anyone who has a strange call or question about an email, whatever. To my knowledge since I started doing this, no one in our community has been scammed. In the meantime, I try to keep up with tactics by wasting scammers time. It’s also amusing.

3 Likes

exactly. That is why I am thinking something suspicious about the origins of thus bot. I maybe wild for thinking that, but it does make ya wonder.

1 Like

exactly.

Noticed, the bot is trained to not discuss controversial topics like phishing

1 Like

Yep, I noticed this as well, it won’t get deep into anything (unless you REALLY pry it to) that it’s aware it could mislead and cause misunderstanding that could lead to damage (ex: vaccines, gun control, phishing/malware) It’ll spout some top level common sense stuff like “protect yourself from phishing by choosing a secure password” but no deeper.

2 Likes