BOB RTC is shutting down

I think you should just jump right in and call a scammer. If it doesn’t go well, just hang up and redial. You could try using soundboards or a voice changer if that makes you more comfortable.

4 Likes

@sandbar Sounds good! Thanks for your responses!
I could use a soundboard application on a separate phone if I scambait on my phone rather than computer. On computer, I could do a soundboard or a voice changer and apply it onto my microphone if I use any second phone number services on there.

2 Likes

I have appreciated all of your work as well. I hope you keep being the real you; and the world will be a better place because of your endeavors.

3 Likes

@sandbar Also, I have a question.
Do you think I should worry about the dangers of scambaiting? For example, I read an article from The Conversation that apparently opposes scambaiting (I don’t oppose to scambaiting and I still want to troll scammers) and there was a sentence that states scammers formerly employed a technique that would go against the people who mess with scammers, in which it would be swatting the scambaiter.
I feel like this is not true, but it lightly worried me about trolling scammers.

3 Likes

Rip bobrtc.Thanks for all the fish and helping so many victims over the years . Sad to see you go

4 Likes

I think there are plenty of ways for people who call scammers to screw up and reveal their real identity. Avoid doing that!!! Here are a few tips. I’ll probably miss some, so maybe others will contribute some I miss.

• never use your real phone, name, address, email, or ANY personal information
  • never use another real person’s information - even if it’s a stranger or a dead person
  • never open an email from a scammer with images turned on
  • opening a PDF might be ok, but I wouldn’t open anything else
  • scan any file you decide to open
  • don’t click any links
  • never let a scammer on your real/host computer and don’t use a VM unless you 100% know what you’re doing
  • use a VPN
  • don’t publicly post videos / audio of your real face/voice
  • don’t publicly post information about a scammer that only you would know
  • use the Beginners Guide Scambait Beginner's Guide and NeeP’s site https://neepscambaiting.com/ to learn more.
9 Likes

I in no means, shape or form want this message to be seen as advertisement, but I do recommend using voip.ms for calling scammers. It’s relatively cheap and you can change your number on the spot and even supports callbacks - it is a VoIP provider. Do keep in mind that you need a VoIP phone or VoIP application (such as Linphone) to make calls.

Only downsides are you need to put balance into the VoIP account; You need a card - I put $15 last year and I still have $10 remaining using the provider listed above, and you need some basic experience setting up VoIP devices / accounts but there are plenty of resources out there to help.

There are tons of other VoIP providers that are paid such as voip.ms and phone.com, and free ones such as Textnow, Google Voice, and TextFree. Most paid ones typically allow you to swap numbers on the spot, but not sure if all.

I get all my numbers from scammer.info and call them via the Voip application. If they block the number just change it. Just make sure not to abuse the system by spoofing reputable numbers.

I am honestly saddened by BobRTC going away. Because of them I got into scambaiting. R.I.P to the service and contributions towards stopping scumbags from scamming innocent people.

9 Likes

Sandbar is right. Do the exact opposite of what I do. I average about one cease-and-desist letter per year, because I do not hide. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

All of these tips seem very well informed and helpful!
I do have one question about the list:

1. On the third tip, what do you mean by ‘with images turned on’ when I shouldn’t open scam emails?
1 Like

In whatever email service/client you use, there will be an option to automatically display images or not.

3 Likes

Ah, alright.
@sandbar I also forgot to ask you another question on if it would be a good idea on if I could use a device such as a phone or computer with fake information onto the physical technological device’s data to scambait (if it is possible), or if I may have to just use my main devices (as long as I have a VPN, I am calling through VoIP services, I give the scammer fake information, I use a virtual machine with a recognizable operating system plastered onto said machinery, etc.) to do so?

4 Likes

I’d love to know how you can stretch $15 out for so long with voip.ms, I haven’t signed up with them yet but would love to find a cost effective voip option like that. Are outbound calls basically free, and you’re only paying $0.85/mo to have an inbound number which you can change for free any time?

4 Likes

You can change numbers on the spot; basically spoof numbers and that is free.

https://voip.ms/en/rates/united-states

You can easily change outbound numbers for free but inbound numbers you need to buy which are cheap depending on the area code.

I sent them an email saying I am scam-baiting and they provided me a number for $3 (one time) which has 3000 minutes per month and SMS.

Also note that if you do not want callback you do not need to purchase a number. You can just spoof an outbound number, but don’t spoof reputable numbers.

Sorry for so many edits - there is a lot to explain.

5 Likes

Regarding spoofing numbers, is there a quick/efficient way to check a number to ensure it’s not reputable? I mean I could just plug in an area code and random numbers when I go to spoof something, but I would hate it to be somebody’s number and I don’t really want to call every number in advance before spoofing.
Thanks!

3 Likes

Probably just lookup numbers that are available to purchase and use those (since they woudln’t be in use).

3 Likes

I normally just type any number in. I just do not impersonate the person or business because if else I would be the scammer.

1 Like

And that is also what I do. I really do not want a scammer calling back another person because I spoofed their number.

2 Likes

I just use active scammers number as CID, never run out of numbers this way

6 Likes

That is actually genius. Thank you so much for that suggestion!

2 Likes

There are a bunch of area codes that are not used. I also use (area code) 867-5309 and I look at TextNow and google voice (and others) to find available numbers in a bunch of area codes. But I’ve been doing what you do lately. It’s brilliant and if they call back to abuse, it goes to another scam call center.

5 Likes