Are there any advantages to using a SIP Trunk?

Are there any advantages of using a SIP Trunk (apart from easy caller id spoofing) opposed to a service like textnow?

Just a question that has been on my mind.

2 Likes

I’d like to setup a SIP server and use something like X-lite but now it’s called “Bria” and the app is not free anymore, only has a trial period. So basic question, can you or another steer me in the direction of this? I believe linux is preferred for a SIP server? I do have a linphone account. (Sorry for the neophyte/beginner questions.) Object is for scambaiting

1 Like

I can’t help you with SIP Servers, since I don’t even have my own one setup. But I would recommend you microsip as a softphone, it’s lightweight and free and supports call recording.

Yes, Linux is good for anything server related.

1 Like

MicroSip is the client I use, it can connect to any pbx server and is totally free. I use this in combination with a FreePBX server. There are many places that offer hosting for PBX servers if you are that serious about it.

2 Likes

Apart from Caller ID Spoofing, Multiple call conferencing, call flooding & automation. I wouldn’t even dream of using something like textnow.

2 Likes

Thanks, the site wants me to download a “web safety app” before getting to the phone d/l so I bailed on that one but thanks.

No it doesn’t MicroSIP Downloads - Installer and Portable version

1 Like